Posted on February 11 2020
Vegetarian diets are becoming exceedingly popular these days. In this article, you will learn the basics of a vegetarian diet and what to keep in mind when you create a healthy vegetarian diet plan.
Many people decide to adopt a vegetarian diet because of the many health benefits it brings: reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes and even some types of cancer. One of the mistakes they make is to replace meat products with processed foods, which are bad for your health because the high level of calories, fat, sugar and sodium they contain. Another mistake is to not consume enough fruits, vegetables, calcium and whole grains, which causes a lack of good nutrients.
In this article, we'll talk about what does it mean to follow a balanced vegetarian diet and how to create a healthy vegetarian diet plan. I hope you'll find this guide helpful. :)
What are the different types of vegetarian diets?
Vegetarianism is usually defined by the exclusion of meat, but there are many types of vegetarian diets based on the foods and ingredients you can include or eliminate from your eating habits:
- Lacto-vegetarian - meat, fish and eggs are excluded. Milk, cheese, butter, yogurt and other dairy products are included.
- Ovo-vegetarian - eggs are included, but dairy, meat and fish are excluded
- Lacto-ovo vegetarian - dairy products and eggs are included, meat and fish are excluded
- Vegan diets exclude all kinds of animal products.
How to adopt a vegetarian diet?
You might want to start your vegetarian diet by gradually reducing meat but at the same time increasing the number of fruits and vegetables you eat.
Here are some useful tips:
- Try to increase the number of meatless meals with every passing week. It's best to start with some meatless meals you already enjoy eating, such as spaghetti with tomato sauce or vegetable stir-fry. Don't forget to include kale, herbs, spinach, collards and other greens into your diet.
- Transform your favorite recipes into their meatless alternatives. For example, make vegetarian bolognese pasta by adding textured soy protein granules instead of beef. You can also replace the chicken in fajitas with TSP. It may sound complicated at first, but a big part of your favorite recipes will require only some small changes in order to make them vegetarian.
- Search for complete vegetarian menus online. You can even buy or borrow vegetarian cookbooks. You will be surprised to find out that several ethnic restaurants include a lot of vegetarian dishes into their menu. The secret to having a balanced vegetarian diet is to make sure you eat a wide variety of foods.
- Follow a vegetarian meal plan. My personalized PRO PLAN can help you with that!